17 Web Design Statistics Small Business Owners Need to Know
As a small business owner, your business website can help you increase your business. It can also drive away prospective customers. Today we’re going to go over some web design statistics every small business owner should know. These statistics can help you take smart steps and avoid common pitfalls when it comes to web design.
Let’s get started.
First Impressions Matter
• It takes half a second for visitors to form their first impression of your web design. (Source)
• 73% of visitors base your business credibility on what your website looks like. (Source)
• 94% of people don’t trust an outdated website. (Think slow, unattractive, broken links, no https, etc.)
• 40% of consumers value images the most on a website, while 39% value color the most. (Source)
• 42% of visitors will leave your website if it doesn’t function well, is hard to use, etc.
In addition to an attractive and easy to navigate website, you need to have informative content that tells a site visitor how your products and services can help them solve a problem or satisfy a need.
Well-written, helpful content will keep a site visitor on your website for longer, which can lead to a higher conversion rate. Let’s take a look at some numbers:
• 47% of visitors to your website will check out your products and services pages before anything else. (Source)
• If the content is scannable, your website engagement goes up and bounce rate goes down. (Source)
• 70% of people pay attention to bulleted lists like this one. (Source)
Consider Adding Video Content
In addition to informative written content, you may want to consider adding video content to your website. Here’s why:
• A website that has video content is 53 times more likely to show up on the first page of Google SERPs. (Source)
• Adding a video to a blog post can increase organic traffic by 157%. (Source)
• Users spend 88% more time on web pages that have videos (Source)
Coastal Web Marketing does provide video production services for our clients. These can include corporate videos, video testimonials, product demo videos, How To videos, and more.
• 53% of users will abandon a website if it takes more than 3 seconds to load. (Google)
• Websites that load in less than 5 seconds have visitors who stay 70% longer than slower loading sites. (Source)
• Conversion rates drop more than 4% with each additional second of page load time (between 0-5) (Source)
Wondering how your website compares? Use the Google site speed tool.
Mobile Friendliness Matters
More and more people are searching for your products or services on their mobile device. That’s why every web design we create is a responsive web design. That means no matter what device someone uses to get to your website, it will display correctly. No swiping, pinching, or expanding needed.
Why is that important?
• Nearly 80% of mobile users will leave a website if it doesn’t display correctly on their device. (Source)
• Nearly 50% of mobile users won’t return to a website that they had trouble accessing. (Source)
And of course, we would be remiss if we didn’t include search engine optimization (SEO) as a factor in a great web design. With the millions of websites out there, today, web design and SEO go hand in hand. If you build a website but don’t implement SEO, it’s like getting a really nice car, but hiding it in the garage where it doesn’t do you any good, and no one can see it.
Don’t believe us? Read our recent blog on SEO statistics.
Schedule a FREE Web Design Consultation
Now that you’ve read through these statistics, ask yourself how your website measures up. If it could use some help, call us at 410-420-9390 to learn how our creative and responsive web design services can help you turn your business website into a digital marketing machine.
Whether you’re a startup business, an established business that needs a new website to enter the digital marketing age, or your existing website needs an overhaul, we can help. Our web design and development team will take the time to get to know you, your brand, and your industry and come up with a small business website that’s attractive, easy to use, fast, and loaded with informative content.
And of course, we would also suggest that you implement an SEO strategy at the beginning. Fill out the contact form or call 410-420-9390 to get the conversation started.